During this busy hurricane season, Rise Against Hunger has been working to respond quickly and effectively to natural disasters in the U.S. and around the globe. Here are the latest updates from our ongoing response efforts.
One of the most powerful hurricanes ever recorded in the Atlantic, Irma wrought havoc across the northeast Caribbean islands, and caused catastrophic flooding and infrastructural damage throughout Florida. Irma resulted in 61 fatalities and left at least 17,000 people in need of shelter across the Caribbean, where more than 1.2 million people were affected by damaged water infrastructure. Over 34,000 people displaced in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
- Through our partnership with Adventist Community Services, Rise Against Hunger distributed more 3,400+ meals in Jacksonville, Florida, to serve over 300 volunteers clearing debris and restoring a sense of normalcy to those affected by Irma.
- In Haiti, our partner, St. Andre’s, utilized 5,400 Rise Against Hunger meals to provide one meal per day for about 200 people. In the Dominican Republic, CitiHope pledged to distribute 400 boxes of Rise Against Hunger meals to affected communities on the northern coast of the country.
- We are working in partnership with the St. Maarten Hospitality and Trade Association to respond to the devastation and catastrophic infrastructural damage on the island of St. Maarten. Rise Against Hunger is airlifting 64,000+ meals for distribution to nearly 300 vulnerable families, which will meet their immediate food needs as they set out on the road to recovery.
“Hurricane Irma destroyed our island home, and in the aftermath everything is needed. Rise Against Hunger stepped in to assist with food that we will be able to distribute straight to the families whose living situations and livelihoods changed in a matter of hours” – Lorraine Talmi, President, St. Maarten Hospitality and Trade Association
Hurricane Harvey has claimed the lives of at least 65 people and damaged or destroyed tens of thousands of homes affecting millions of people across the Gulf Coast. More than 30,000 people have been displaced in Texas and Louisiana. Rise Against Hunger responded immediately.
- Through our partnership with Global DIRT, we provided 1,400 hygiene kits and 300 flood buckets in Port Arthur, Texas
- In collaboration with Adventist Community Services, we provided 20,000 protein bars and 10,000 units of hand sanitizer at distribution centers in Houston
- We shared our Houston warehouse space with other relief agencies for storage of critical and life-saving supplies
- Overall, we have supported more than 11,000 people in Harvey’s wake
We are currently on a standby to send an additional 142,500 meals to St.
Following mudslides and flooding that caused more than 1,000 fatalities in Freetown, Sierra Leone, in mid-August, Rise Against Hunger is continuing its response efforts in the country. We have airlifted 66,500+ Rise Against Hunger meals to serve the immediate needs of about 300 affected families. Over 150 families in Freetown have received enough food rations for a month, and the distribution of critical food assistance is ongoing.
The monsoon season in Southeast Asia, including in Bangladesh, India and Nepal, has resulted in more than 1,200 fatalities and has impacted 41 million people. Through Rise Against Hunger’s collaboration with ADRA International, we will be supporting 600 families in Nepal’s central region. Families will be receiving a food package consisting of rice, lentils and Vitamin A fortified oil, as well as small quantities of sugar and iodized salt.
Our efforts to support those impacted by devastation around the globe have depleted our reserve of ready-to-ship meals in our warehouses. We need your help — please consider making a donation to our Global Emergency Relief Fund, or host a Meal Packaging Event to restock our shelves.
Rise Against Hunger’s recent emergency response and recovery work throughout the world has been possible with the invaluable support of Forever Living Philanthropies, United Airlines, Jetco and hunger champions like you. Thank you for enabling us to assist those in greatest need.